Join our #HeritageChat on Twitter on 19th January 2021, 1-2pm BST to discuss ‘Historic Environment and Climate Change’, a topic extremely important considering the global climate emergency and the UK Government commitment to reach ‘Net Zero’ by 2050. This timely chat is one of the activities of the newly formed HEF COP26 Task Group.
The questions we’ll discuss are the following:
- How can our sector become more ‘green’? What are the tangible steps organisations, both big and small, can take?
- Has your organisation implemented policies/taken practical steps to mitigate the impact of climate change on the historic environment? What has/has not worked?
- Do you think the ways in which our sector can support sustainability/ environmental progress are widely understood (by decision-makers, related sectors, the public)? How can we improve understanding in an effective and engaging way?
- One challenge in planning for climate change is getting new research into practice. What would you like to happen that could bring relevant climate change research and heritage management practice closer together and bridge the gap?
- To what extent do you think monitoring and evaluation of climate change mitigation or adaptation measures in heritage is effective and how can this be improved?
- Many individuals, communities and local organisations are keen to do their bit for heritage conservation in the face of climate change. What interventions can be made at the local level to mitigate the impacts of climate change on heritage?